Topics

Possible Little Blue Heron at NCOS

Barbara Millett

This morning I saw what I think is a juvenile Little Blue Heron at NCOS in the western channel, just a bit east of Phelps Bridge. The bird was all white, with dull green legs and yellow feet. Bill was thick and tapered, with a dusky base. At first I couldn’t see the lores but when the bird flew to my side of the channel, the lores looked pinkish to me. The foraging posture was with neck extended.

I didn’t have my scope and I know this can be a tricky ID so other opinions welcome if anyone wants to brave the heat out there. The bird was still present at 9:45.

Barb Millett
Santa Barbara