Topics

Possible Stilt Sandpipers at the Carpinteria Salt Marsh?

John Callender

I saw what I believed at the time were four Stilt Sandpipers today at the Carpinteria Salt Marsh, but looking at my (poor) photos now I'm suspicious that at least some of the photos may show dowitchers (which were also present). At the time I thought I observed both species together, with the Stilt Sandpipers appearing distinctly longer-legged and slimmer-bodied, but unfortunately I don't have any photos showing that comparison.

I'd appreciate feedback; photos are here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50349976

Thanks!

John Callender
Carpinteria

John Callender

After helpful feedback I've switched the ID on those photos to dowitcher sp. (most of them) and Dunlin (one of them). Apologies for the misidentification.

John Callender
Carpinteria