Topics

Red-tail Hawk / Western Kingbird Interaction

Glenn Kincaid

This morning at the “Ranch Entrance” to Alisal Ranch along Alisal Road (where the cattle pens are), Adrian O’Loghlen and I observed an interesting Kingbird / Hawk interaction.

As we arrived at the site we noticed a large collection of Starlings and Blackbirds, along with one Western Kingbird on top of the cattle pen fences.

They were watching a Red-tailed Hawk which was on the ground with a squirrel in its grasp.

When the hawk lifted off with the rodent, the Kingbird chased closely and actually rode on the hawk’s back a couple of times before the hawk lit in a tree to eat lunch.

Sadly no photo or video of the Hawk Rodeo was obtained.

--
Glenn Kincaid
Santa Barbara