Topics

Refugio Canyon

Nick Lethaby

All,

I spent the last two early mornings checking Refugio Canyon due to the NNW flow. Today I found a singing A. Redstart about .5 miles up from Circle BarB. At Circle BarB, I had what sounded like a Townsend's singing, but might have been something better. No other migrants elsewhere in the canyon. On Sunday, I heard a whitting Willow Flycatcher. I head 3-4 bursts of song that I immediately thought were a Kentucky Warbler. However it never sand again or responded to playback. After talking with Dave and listening to Mac and Mourning Warblers, I don't believe I can definitely eliminate them.

I definitely need to learn eastern songs better for spring vagrant finding. Unfortunately the redstart today sounded quite different to the Camino Corto bird, so it's not easy.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200