Topics

Refugio RE Vireo + general migration

Nick Lethaby

All,

Brad Hacker and I have checked Refugio Canyon the last two mornings, joined by Florence yesterday. Yesterday, the wind was a little S of W so likely not suitable. We had a couple of warbler sp. fly by in 40 minutes before giving up. Today the wind was due N at El Cap and of decent strength but migration was incredibly slow again, possibly because we are running out of north bound migrants, but not convinced on that front. I did have a couple of Willow Flycatchers go through the watchpoint area and between us we had 4 Wilson's and 3 Yellow Warblers plus some unidentifieds. We gave up after about an hour. One thing of interest was a definite movement of Phainopeplas with 18 tallied. mostly moving upslope in flocks.

I then decided to stop along the canyon at multiple points and walk the road listening for interesting songs. Around the mid canyon area, I heard a 'non-blurry' vireo song that was clearly going to be something interesting.I eventually got a decent look and it was a Red-eyed Vireo. At that point Adrian and Pam showed up. We were able to get the bird responding a bit to playback flying back and forth across the road. I had to leave, so was unsure if they were able to get good looks.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200