Topics

Refugio State Beach - Elegant Terns

Peter Schneekloth

I've been stopping at Refugio throughout the week to check gulls. Early in the week there were hundreds sitting on the beach. The storm has pretty much wiped out any sand and most of the gulls have moved off. I did have two Elegant Terns there this morning. I have a few photos I will post later tonight but the smaller size, longer thinner bill and larger black crest were obvious vs the immediately adjacent Royal Terns.

Peter Schneekloth
Buellton

Wes Fritz

Hi all,
Just to add to Peter’s post, I hit up Gaviota this morning shortly after 8:00am. The sand was still present on the beach, so the gulls may possibly be loafing more west of Refugio at Gaviota SP and on the pier. I did scope a mess of gulls feeding offshore this morning from the Gaviota Pier. I would guess they are bunching up somewhere near by.
  A Common Gallinule was seen in the western portion NCOS in the reedy area of Devereux Creek shortly after noon today. Also seen was one Tropical Kingbird, Rock Wren and one Burrowing  _ _ _.

Good birding.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
Solvang CA