Topics

Sanata Cruz Island and SB Channel, Nov. 11

Florence Sanchez

I met up in Ventura with friends from Florida yesterday and we took the Island Packers boat out to Santa Cruz Island.  There was not a lot of seabird activity on the way out, butwe did encounter a huge group of Common Dolphins.  Birding on the Island itself was pretty quiet too, though granted we didn't land until 10:30 a.m. and were birding during the slowest part of any day.  However, we did get nice looks at the Island Jay, which is what we came for.

On the way back, things improved markedly.  We first encountered a huge flock of Black-vented Shearwaters sitting on the water.  As the flock broke up and flew around us, I picked out at least 1 Sooty Shearwater and 1 Pink-footed Shearwater among them.  Behind the birds was a very active group of Dolphins, which was joined shortly by 3 cooperative humpbacked Whales who put on a real show for us.  As we finally departed all the activity, we had a single immature Pomerine Jaeger fly across the bow.  This shows that sometimes very "dead" birding days can turn around quickly, and we thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle.

Florence Sanchez