Topics

Santa Barbara CBC preliminary results

Rebecca Coulter

Hello birders,
The results of the CBC on Saturday are still coming in, and the job of compiling data from 200 birders has just begun. Saturday evening’s count dinner did reveal one thing for certain: dedicated birders, some from across the country, don’t let a bit of stormy weather dampen their spirits. Thanks to all of you who make it happen.

Saturday’s stormy weather definitely contributed to our preliminary species count of 198. And ironically, it seems to be the continuing drought conditions that tell us the glory days of 215 species are probably behind us until we get significant rainfall for a few seasons. It will be very telling as we settle in this week to compile numbers of individual species to see how they differ from past years.

Notable hits:
TUFTED DUCK, returning for its 6th season in Santa Barbara, appeared on Lauro Reservoir
MOUNTAIN QUAIL along West Camino Cielo
ANCIENT MURRELET, scoped from Butterfly Beach
AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN, seen by many as this (presumably) single bird moved between water points from one side of the count circle to the other.
SPOTTED OWL, 6 birds recorded and photographed at known locations in the mountains
LEWIS’S WOODPECKER, 2 continuing at San Marcos Foothills Preserve, and 1 surprise along Paradise Rd.
PACIFIC WREN
TOWNSEND’S SOLITAIRE, lucky find of 1 of the 6 seen at La Cumbre Peak during count week
SWAMP SPARROW
ORCHARD ORIOLE, 3 individuals in Goleta locations
BULLOCK’S ORIOLE
NASHVILLE WARBLER, up to 8 individuals, mostly in Goleta
YELLOW WARBLER
HERMIT WARBLER
BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER
WILSON’S WARBLER
BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, feeding on pomegranate fruit at Fairview Gardens

Two species never before recorded on our CBC appeared on count day: LONG-EARED OWL and DUSKY FLYCATCHER. The Dusky Flycatcher, a high-elevation breeder in our county, was found on private property in Hope Ranch. There are only two previous winter records in the county, and this is the first on the south coast. The two owls were found on a day roost at Lake Los Carneros. By sheer coincidence, the SB News-Press reporter was assigned to the group counting there, and the owls made the front page Sunday. Fortunately the article did not provide detail that would cause a stampede of people clamoring to see them. Enough has been said about this subject here, but I will add that Audubon’s official stance on owl locations is that they do not publish them (the CBC is an Audubon-sponsored project). Any details posted on this platform or any other type of social media are up to the birder posting them. In the end, I think we can all appreciate the caution and sensitivity of birders who keep the birds’ well-being as a priority.

Notable misses:
GREATER SCAUP, none apparent with the flocks of the more common Lessers
RUDDY TURNSTONE

Due to the grim conditions on the ocean, these species were not seen (but all mariners returned home safely!):
COMMON MURRE, only one bird was seen on count day, deceased at Goleta Beach
RHINOCEROS AUKLET
BONAPARTE’S GULL

WILLIAMSON’S SAPSUCKER, female found at La Cumbre Peak during Count Week, but missed in Saturday’s socked-in conditions on the ridge
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, completely absent this winter after a few present in the fall
BALTIMORE ORIOLE, but present at the Municipal Golf Course on Friday
PALM WARBLER, not found despite several birds seen this fall and winter

Thank you to everyone who participated.
Rebecca Coulter
Compiler

Rebecca Coulter

Dang it! Missed a couple of things:

CBC Addendum:

LUCY’S WARBLER, found at Pesetas Lane parking lots, favoring the tipu trees

Only one of the ORCHARD ORIOLES and half the NASHVILLES were actually picked up on count day, after the higher numbers were seen just prior.

And we probably have more than one very active WHITE PELICAN—the timing looks that way.

Rebecca Coulter
SB CBC Compiler

On Jan 7, 2019, at 9:53 AM, Rebecca Coulter via Groups.Io <rfcphoebe@...> wrote:

[...]

Wim van Dam

So what birds are still painfully missing for this count week? We still have today and tomorrow.

Wim
--
Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
SBCO #378+5: Blue-footed Booby

Glenn Kincaid

Red-necked Grebe has been AWOL.

Glenn Kincaid
Santa Barbara / Castle Valley / Rarangi

On Jan 7, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam@...> wrote:

So what birds are still painfully missing for this count week? We still have today and tomorrow.

Wim
--
Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
SBCO #378+5: Blue-footed Booby

Rebecca Coulter

The long list, including some very long shots:
Brant
Eurasian Wigeon
Canvasback
Greater Scaup