Topics

Santa Cruz Island today

Nick Lethaby

All,

I took the boat to Scorpion today and my wife and I hiked over to Smagglers Cove.
The hike took over 4 hours round trip and I didn't have much time to bird. In the fig patch in Scorpion Campground, I saw a YB Chat, a Hooded Oriole, and a couple of BH Grosbeaks. There was a RB Nuthatch in the Cypress Trees by the visitor center.

I had justĀ about 25 minutes to bird around Smugglers Cove. I saw a Hooded Oriole, Western Tanager, 3 Lark and one WC Sparrow. There were more fig trees here, as well as walnut trees and a lemon tree. I had no time to check the extensive olive groves here, although a numberĀ of trees had fruit.

The hike in between produced a couple of Peregrines and a Vesper Sparrow. Island Scrub Jays were scattered all over the area and I saw 3 Island Loggerhead Shrikes.
--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200