Topics

Santa Maria

Wes Fritz

SB Birders,

I checked out the “A” Street ponds and they were way sucky.
I then drove by the formally flooded field on Black Road. All the grading appears to be done? It also looks like it will not hinder birding there when the field floods again.
The Santa Maria Sewage Works is worth checking out, there are a couple basins/lagoons that have awesome habitat. I saw 36 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 60+ Semipalmated Plovers, 250+ mixed Western and Least Sandpipers and picked out one juv Semipalmated Sandpiper, 300+ Red-necked Phalaropes and 4 Wilson’s, the Northern Shoverler Ducks are arriving in good numbers as I saw them on 3 different impoundments with numbers reaching 50 just at one location. I guess the the more notable bird for SMSW was a Ash-throated Flycatcher.
I then checked out Jack O’Connell Park in Guadalupe, way sucky.
I birded the Santa Maria River Estuary, there were lots of birds, but the only reportable bird was the continuing Reddish Egret. It was up river where John Deacon had it. I then hit up a private ranch pond and saw 29 White-faced Ibis and 250+ Trikes.

Good birding,

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
wes-fritz@...