Topics

Santa Maria Valley Pacific Golden Plovers

Wes Fritz

SB Birders,

We made my first stop at the “A” Street ponds, one Greater Yellowlegs only.

Black Road Flooded Fields ( BBFF) they are irrigating and there is some mud. One Baird’s Sandpiper, 2 Least one Western, one Long-billed Curlew and more Killdeer than I care to count.

Santa Maria Sewage Work,
I saw my high count of Lesser Yellowlegs today which was 8, in with the 13 Greater Yellowlegs, low numbers of Western and least Sandpipers, 70ish Red-necked and 4 Wilson’s Phalaropes, 50+ Semipalmated Plovers, One Peregrine Falcon, and one Blue Grosbeak

Jack O’Connell Park, super sucky.

The AG fields just to the west of Jack O’Connell Park has 2 Pacific Golden-Plovers in with 12 Black-bellied Plovers.

Blue Barn Pastures (trespassing?) just Horned Larks.

SMRE, had distant Sooty Shearwaters seen from the parking lot. At the estuary we saw 20 Canada Geese, Western, California and Heermann’s Gulls were in decent numbers, the only tern was a Caspian. Crazy numbers of Brown Pelicans with 6 American White Pelicans, 3 Whimbrels, one Long-billed Curlew, 6 Dowitcher sp. 2 Peregrine Falcons were eating what appeared to be a Gull. One Falcon has a silver band on its right leg. We did NOT see the Reddish Egret, and the shorebird numbers were very low for all locations birded today. The best/surprising bird in my opinion was a Large-Billed Savannah Sparrow at SMRE.

Good birding,

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
wes-fritz@...