Topics

Santa Maris Sewage works

Wes Fritz

SB Birders,

I made it out for some windshield/air conditioning birding today up in Santa Maria, can’t say it was great, but it was fun.

I started out at Jack O’Connell Park, nothing to report. The agg fields just to the west had one Savannah Sparrow, so things are starting to come south.
I then worked my way out to the SMRE ( Santa Maria River Estuary) it is getting pretty full, lot of birds nothing really to report other than cool weather of 68 degrees.
I moved over to the SMSW ( Santa Maria Sewage Works ) here I saw 2 Northern Pintails, 2 Teal that I believe were Cinnamon and about 25 Northern Shovelers. Out of the 41 Greater Yellowlegs there were 7 Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Long-billed Dowitchers. I counted 9 Red-necked Phalaropes in with the 50ish Wilson’s Phalaropes. No sandpipers were seen. Also seen was one Loggerhead Shrike.
My last stop was at the “A” Street Ponds, only a few Greater Yellowlegs were seen with the only Black-necked Stilt of the day. There was a Peregrine Falcon dive bombing a Turkey Vulture, which was interesting.

Good birding,

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
wes-fritz@...