Topics

Santa Monica Creek orioles in Carpinteria

John Callender

This morning I was able to photograph the adult male Orchard Oriole that Florence Sanchez reported recently along Santa Monica Creek. Eric Culbertson had seen the bird earlier today and told me about it when I came across him; later I got good views of the bird. I assume this is the same bird that wintered here the last two years.

While I was talking with Eric we saw a different oriole in the big sycamore tree along the bike path just south of El Carro Lane. At first I thought it was a first-year male Bullock's Oriole, but it definitely looked weird, and in reviewing photos I think it may have been a Baltimore Oriole. I'd appreciate feedback from people with more oriole experience than I have.

Photos of both birds are in the eBird list below:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61628044

John Callender
Carpinteria

John Callender

After getting feedback from helpful experts the prevailing opinion is that the weird-looking oriole I saw might be a young male Baltimore Oriole (based especially on the head pattern), but there are details of the wing and body that work better for a Bullock's/Baltimore hybrid. For now I'll leave the bird as "new world oriole sp.". Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts.

John Callender
Carpinteria