Topics

Santa Ynez River Estuary (Ocean Beach Park)

Mark Holmgren

I birded there yesterday from 3 - 5 pm and had quite a different experience than others. I did not see Long-tailed Duck, Canvasback, Common Goldeneye, Horned Grebe, American Bittern, Red Phalarope, or Palm Warbler, all reported here today. I did see 10 duck species including 5 scaup and 24 Redheads, and a Pelagic Cormorant with Dc Corms on the north side pilings.
As dusk approached I was at the west end of the estuary. I watched shorebirds that had not been present come piling in suggesting that this is a gathering point before roosting. Western Sandpipers and Dunlin gathered in higher numbers than we typically see: 25 WeSa and 13 Dunlin.

Mark Holmgren
Santa Barbara

Nick Lethaby

Mark,

FWIW, I only saw 10 Redheads and missed the LT Duck for the second time inĀ  a row (but didn't look very hard for it) and didn't see Red Phalarope, Palm Warbler, or bittern.

Nick

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 6:45 AM Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33@...> wrote:
I birded there yesterday from 3 - 5 pm and had quite a different experience than others. I did not see Long-tailed Duck, Canvasback, Common Goldeneye, Horned Grebe, American Bittern, Red Phalarope, or Palm Warbler, all reported here today. I did see 10 duck species including 5 scaup and 24 Redheads, and a Pelagic Cormorant with Dc Corms on the north side pilings.
As dusk approached I was at the west end of the estuary. I watched shorebirds that had not been present come piling in suggesting that this is a gathering point before roosting. Western Sandpipers and Dunlin gathered in higher numbers than we typically see: 25 WeSa and 13 Dunlin.

Mark Holmgren

Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200