Topics

Shoveler at Atascadero Creek

Libby Patten

Walked along the creek yesterday with Cathy Peterson between Ward and Patterson. The most unexpected bird was a male Northern Shoveler in eclipse plumage in the creek channel about 50 yards east of the dam. (There are areas now along the creek where the vegetation has been cleaned out enough so you can peer down into the creek more easily.) According to Lehman’s BOSBC, it’s exceedingly rare to see NOSH in June and July.  We also had an Ash-throated Flycatcher and good numbers of Black-headed Grosbeak and Hooded Oriole. I usually find a few Chestnut-backed Chickadee here, but heard only one this time. In general, though, been seeing much higher numbers of CBCH this season in locations where they’ve typically been (e.g. near Coronado seep).  Seems like a bumper crop year for these guys.

Good birding,

Libby Patten

Libby Patten
Santa Barbara