From: petra schaaf via groups.io <pcschaaf=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 9:43 PM
Subject: [slocobirding] DOZER: Migrating Banded Long-billed Curlew (Morro Strand State Beach)
To: Slocobirding <slocobirding@groups.io>

On Father's day I encountered a banded Long-billed Curlew, that was fitted with a tracking device on the beach at Morro Strand SB by the Snowy Plover enclosure.

I found out that it was a male named "Dozer," who was banded in May in Indian Valley in Southwest Idaho by the Intermountain Bird Observatory.  Unfortunately both of his nests failed and he was not meant to be a father this year.

The information below was provided by by Heather M. Hayes and Stephanie Coates, Intermountain Bird Observatory, Boise State University, Boise Idaho. (Facebook site)

Heather and Stephanie are curious to know if and when another banded Long-billed Curlew named "Neil" (LV) will be sighted on our beaches. A third curlew, a female named "MN: Payette," also banded and outfitted with a transmitter, has not migrated out yet. She is still on site tending to her chicks.

Petra Clayton,
Los Osos

Intermountain Bird Observatory:
Unfortunately both of Dozer's nests failed due to predation in an alfalfa field, likely due to ravens or magpies. He began his migration last week. He made it to the coast just about 4 days ago. The sighting is particularly exciting, because he and another male named "Neil" (LV) are the very first curlews to head straight to the coast as most of the curlews head to the Central and Imperial Valleys of CA and down into Mexico. The other male, "Neil," landed in the same bay as Dozer just days apart.

The Intermountain Bird Observatory has been studying Long-billed Curlews since 2009 as local populations in SW ID have been in a ~ 95% decline. They began tracking their migration through use of satellite transmitters since 2013 to learn more about their migratory connectivity and to try to find out the reasons for their decline. They have discovered the illegal shooting on the public lands is one of the main driving factors for this decline.