Topics

Solitary Sandpiper at SM Sewage Ponds

Jamie Chavez

Earlier this afternoon at the Santa Maria sewage plant I located a juv SOLITARY SANDPIPER in the first large settling pond to the left as you head west away from the sludge beds and buildings. The mystery (aka White-faced Ibis) continues there as well. It flushed with a bunch of ducks out of one of the tanks as I exited my truck to peer over the tank railing but I found it later in one of the large ponds (no birding around the actual tanks, please). This place is really poor for shorbirding right now. Almost no exposed mud anywhere around the property. Lots of water though.

--
Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria, CA

--