Topics

Summer Tanager at LLC

Rebecca Coulter

Leading a group at Lake Los Carneros this morning turned up a calling Summer Tanager around the olive tree row near Stow House that leads toward the lake. Adult female or young male, with orangey mottling all over. It called "Pi-TUK" several times. We didn't get very clear looks before it flew toward the lake after a minute or two, but it did appear to forage some on the abundant olives, so it would be worth rechecking there.

Rebecca Coulter
SB

John Callender

This morning around 7:30 I saw what I believe is probably the same bird in the same location. The bird I saw was mostly red overall with some lighter splotches; I'd be curious if anyone who saw the bird yesterday could weigh in on whether the photos in the eBird list below look like the same individual.

Also of note was a White-winged Dove that flew from the top of one of the large trees near Stow House around 9 a.m.; I last saw it flying east over the tops of the large eucalyptus trees on the east side of the lake. No photos of that bird, unfortunately.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60502690

John Callender
Carpinteria

Rebecca Coulter

Almost certainly a different bird. The one we saw--though not all that well--was way more blotchy overall, not nearly as red. Cool!
Rebecca Coulter
SB

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 11:24 AM John Callender <jbc@...> wrote:
This morning around 7:30 I saw what I believe is probably the same bird in the same location. The bird I saw was mostly red overall with some lighter splotches; I'd be curious if anyone who saw the bird yesterday could weigh in on whether the photos in the eBird list below look like the same individual.

Also of note was a White-winged Dove that flew from the top of one of the large trees near Stow House around 9 a.m.; I last saw it flying east over the tops of the large eucalyptus trees on the east side of the lake. No photos of that bird, unfortunately.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60502690

John Callender
Carpinteria

Rebecca Coulter

I just received a couple of photos from one of the students in the birding class, and it does indeed look like it’s probably the same bird. The olive leaves lent a splotchy appearance to the bird, when it is actually pretty red all over. Thanks to the birders who have the patience to carry cameras as well as binoculars!

Rebecca Coulter
SB