Swamp Sparrow and Farren Road

Florence Sanchez

I planned to hike Farren Road this morning but first stopped at the Tecolotito Creek open space to see if  I could manage a better look at the continuing Swamp Sparrow.  The look I got  last week was pretty wretched.  Eventually I was successful as the bird came up to feed on the seeds of the big Laurel Sumac on the far side of the drainage ditch as it did in David Levasheff's photo posted previously.  It stayed up for several minutes, affording excellent looks.  I think David Blue got a photo of it.

Farren Road was quiet for the most part, but it was a lovely road to hike this morning with outstanding views of the islands.  On the way up the road, I found a flock of 4 Common Ground-Doves perched on the orchard fence east of the road.  This was about 100 yards beyond the pullout at the top of the hill that overlooks the reservoir.  Another one flew across the road into the orchard as I continued further up the road.  On the way down, I heard a Roadrunner making its dove-like call from deep in the canyon west of the road.  Not many signs of spring, but a pair of California Thrashers were sounding off at each other from opposite side of the road in an apparent declaration of territorial limits.

Florence Sanchez