Topics

SYRE & Surf Beach

Wes Fritz

SB Birders,

I birded at Ocean Park and Surf Beach in Lompoc this morning.

SYRE, 2 Least Terns, one Caspian Tern, 7 Greater Yellowlegs, 4 Black-bellied Plovers, 8 peeps that appeared to be Westerns at 50 power from the bluff top. Western Grebes, ducks with babies, a mixed gull flock. From the train trestle I could see baby Snowy Plovers and the other expected nesters. It was cool to see a Horned Lark in a long lasting flight display while singing. ( more Horned Larks on Renwick Rd.)
A 30 minute seawatch from Surf Beach was better than I expected. When arriving there was about 8 whales feeding about a mile offshore which had a couple hundred gulls and a few terns working the bait ball too. A raft of 80+ Sooty Shearwaters was setting near by with a few getting in the mix. The more surprising birds I saw were 3 Common Murres.

Good birding.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
wes-fritz@...