Topics

SYV Scaly-breasted Munias

Wim van Dam

In case anyone needs further evidence that Scaly-breasted Munias are now breeding in Santa Ynez Valley: earlier today a recently fledged one ended up dead in my Solvang backyard. A close-up photo shows the obvious yellow flange of a juvenile:

I have now also started to see small flocks of this species in the weedy fields at the "Finley Farm Honor Stand" (east of Refugio Rd, south of Baseline Avenue). So yeah, they're here to stay.

Wim

PS: For those wondering why I post about this common south coast species: in Solvang's District I Scaly-breasted Munia is still described as "rare but increasing".

--
Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
SBCO #386: American Bittern