Topics

This week birds

David Levasheff

Tuesday:
We finally had 5 Ring-billed Gull at LLC and it looked like 3 more were arriving. The lake also sported 1 Bufflehead. No sign of Green Heron.
The water spigots east of the ranger quarters at Stow Grove is attracting lots of birds. Nothing special but at least one can stand and pick birds to look at rather than looking for a bird somewhere.

Thursday I walked Atascadero Creek from Ward Dr to the Goleta Beach bridge. I know there were two female Belted Kingfisher, but kept running into more flying up and down creek, could not swear there were more than two. At least 130 Coot, 1 Northern Shovler, 20 pied-billed Grebe, 3 Western Grebe, 6 eared Grebe. I counted 23 Black-crowned Night-Heron and the two Yellow-crowned. About a dozen Lesser Goldfinch, White-crowned Sparrows scooting around and a smattering of regular species, 32 in total for a 100 minute walk.
I then did a drive by of the Mobile Home park lake. Lots more Coots & Mallards, some Ruddys. Definitely had several Ring-Neck Ducks and what looked like several Lesser Scaup though I did not see any female. I couldn't dwell there as I had somewhere to be.

--

David

--
David Levasheff