Topics

Thurs/Fri birds

Nick Lethaby

All,

Thursday AM I was able to refind Florence's 2 BC Sparrows along W. Camino Cielo. A visit to Area K produced a RN Phalarope. Almost all the wintering duck have now gone. The Avocet remained, possibly now dead as it was crouched down in the salicornia.

This AM, Brad, Francisco, and myself checked out migrants at Refugio. The wind was more westerly (WNW) than we had hoped. This probably resulted in lower numbers of birds and made them harder to see. We had about 300 migrants, mostly Warbling Vireos. Townsend's Warblers, Western Tanagers, and BH Grosbeaks. We missed Nashville Warbler for the first time this spring and had no empids of interest. There are now two Costa's Hummingbirds at the watchpoint, along with a slug of Phainopeplas. A chat was singing mid-canyon and there were still some migrants moving through there close to 10 AM.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200
Work: 805 562 5106

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Elaine Tan

My friend Rachel Behm, principally an insect person might've had the same RN Phalarope, Thursday ~5 PM at Whittier Pond on NCOS. Her photo below (from iNaturalist).

--
Elaine Tan
Goleta, CA