Topics

Two Tropical Kingbirds in Santa Maria - same spot

Jamie Chavez

John Deacon recently found a Tropical Kingbird at the corner of Fairway Ave. and A Street in Santa Maria where there are a couple of remaining ponds at what used to be the site of a nine-hole public golf course, Sunset Ridge. Now the area is mostly made up of industrial business parks but the two ponds are still intact. I thought I would see if I could find this kingbird this morning and to my surprise there were actually two there, plus a Cassin's Kingbird for comparison. It's hard to say if two have been there all along or if a second bird moved into the area since John reported it last month. The two TK's tolerate each other for the most part but I did watch some squabbling at one point. Not much else at the pond while I was there. BTW- this is NOT the "A Street Pond" which is north of Betteravia Rd. This location is south of Betteravia next to the new FedEx shipping center. The ponds are next to the street but please be mindful of the no trespassing signs wherever you see one.

Photos in this eBird checklist:

--
Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria, CA