UCSB Beaches

Florence Sanchez

I walked the beaches this morning starting a little after 6:30 a.m.  I first walked north from the wooden staircase at the end of lot 6.  The majority of the kelp wrack that has made walking this segment difficult over the past few weeks us gone.  However, there were no shorebirds along this stretch and just a few Western Gulls were hanging around.

South of the stairs, there was also little shorebird activity.  The tidal overflow pond at the base of the bluffs has refilled, but the only thing in it was a single juvenile Red-necked Phalarope.  The beach pond at the eastern end of the Lagoon has alos refilled and had a couple of Black-necked Stilts and 21 Greater Yellowlegs.  On it's far shore, there was a small flock of Sandpipers, mostly Least with a couple of Westerns thrown in.  A single Snowy Plover was on the sand at this location.  Next to Campus Point, there were 2 Black Turnstones on the beach.

Campus Point itself had a single Whimbrel and 3 more Black Turnstones, nothing else.  A second Whimbrel was on the south-facing beach near the point and a single Long-billed Curlew a little further down.  A mixed flock of small shorebirds that landed on the beach turned out to be 1 each of Sanderling, Western Sandpiper, and Semi-palmated Plover.  No other shorebirds or gulls on the beach.  The UCSB Lagoon was equally dull, with 3 Black-necked Stilts and a single Greater Yellowlegs being the only shorebirds there.

I made a quick run to Goleta Beach and found the continuing Reddish Egret present at its usual location on the most western part of the beach at 7:50 a.m.

Florence Sanchez