Topics

UCSB Campus Beaches and Devereux

Florence Sanchez

I did a beach walk at UCSB this morning to take advantage of the minus low tide, but there was nothing to see!  The beaches were practically devoid of birds, except for a few gulls.  I had a fly-by of 2 Long-billed Curlew at the Lagoon outfall, chased by two dogs on the Isla Vista Beaches ahead.  The only shorebirds around the Lagoon were 3 Black-necked Stilts and there were NO waterfowl of any kind on the water.

I moved over to Devereux to see if I could track down the Wilson's Phalaropes others have report.  I found 3 adult females in nice plumage in the large patch of open water just north of the half bridge.  Rest of Devereux was pretty quiet.

Florence Sanchez