Topics

Unseasonal Black-Chinned Hummingbird

Thomas Turner

We were at the Botanic Garden this morning and saw what appeared to be an adult male Black-Chinned Hummingbird. I am about 95% sure, but I didn’t eBird it because I think it would be exceptional for this time of year, and I didn’t actually see its gorget color. It was a big, long-necked hummingbird with a broad white band of feathers below the gorget and a long, slightly curved bill. It got my attention due to its flight sounds, which sounded a bit different than Anna’s or Allen’s. It was in the shade, so the gorget just looked black.

It was in the Manzanita Section, in the trees around the “book” of notes about pond insects. Let me know if you can confirm!

-Tom & Wren Turner

Goleta