Topics

unusual cormorant

Rob Denholtz

Franklin Creek, Thursday morning, July 16, 2020

There was a cormorant here this morning that gave me pause.  I’ve posted an image at https://www.flickr.com/photos/59729301@N05/50119532156/in/dateposted-public/.

It’s probably a juvenile Double-crested but it has a white fringe, like a chin-strap, around the underside of its beak.  Made me think it may be harboring some Neotropic DNA.  But, size and other features are Double-crested.

Please have a look at the image and let e know what you think.  Thanks,

Rob Denholtz
Carp

--
Rob Denholtz
Carpinteria

Nick Lethaby

Rob,

While at this time of year fresh juv DCCO can look rather similar to NECOs, it would be good to get better photos. Did you actually see it next to a DCCO to confirm it was in fact the same size? I don't get the impression that this bird is a juv, but can't be sure.

Regards,

Nick

Franklin Creek, Thursday morning, July 16, 2020

There was a cormorant here this morning that gave me pause.  I’ve posted an image at https://www.flickr.com/photos/59729301@N05/50119532156/in/dateposted-public/.

It’s probably a juvenile Double-crested but it has a white fringe, like a chin-strap, around the underside of its beak.  Made me think it may be harboring some Neotropic DNA.  But, size and other features are Double-crested.

Please have a look at the image and let e know what you think.  Thanks,

Rob Denholtz
Carp

--
Rob Denholtz