urban birding

Joan Lentz (cox.net address)

Hi All:
I was down at Home Improvement Center on Gutierrez St., and Nan and I were outside looking at Christmas trees. We heard this annoying racket, and looked up to the utility pole over by the street. There sat a Red-tailed Hawk, minding its own business for all we knew, and a very territorial PEREGRINE FALCON was dive bombing the hawk and carrying on at the top of its lungs. On and on, the Peregrine hassled the hawk.
Wow! Finally, the Peregrine flew off. I know Peregrines aren’t “rare” anymore, but it was pretty interesting to see how both species have obviously adapted to humans.

Joan Lentz
Santa Barbara