Topics

Virginia's Warbler at Refugio

Adrian O'Loghlen

Pam Viale and I found a Virginia's Warbler foraging on the Anise plants under the freeway bridge at Refugio SB this am (Mon).  We also saw the leucistic Willow Flycatcher previously reported by Dave Compton. It was foraging close to the stone bridge in the park.  And we had yet another leucistic bird.  This time a House Sparrow on the west side of the creek in the Park.  Considering that a leucistic CA Thrasher has been reported in this area recently, makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the water!  Finally, we had a striking dark morph Red-tailed Hawk in the Eucs at the west end of the Park.  Initially we could not ID this bird but eventually we saw that it had a red tail and this ID was supported when eventually we saw it perch alongside another RT Hawk. There were quite a few warblers in the Eucs, mainly Yellow, a few Wilson's, and Townsend's and also Western Tanagers.

Photos at; https://flic.kr/ps/2A7WDv

Adrian O'Loghlen
Goleta

Joel Barrett

Regarding all the leucitic birds in the Refugio area. Perhaps the after effects from the oil spill In 2015 Are now showing up in the damaged genes of these birds? Just a thought.
Joel Barrett
Port Hueneme, Ca

On Sep 7, 2020, at 2:09 PM, Adrian O'Loghlen via groups.io <adrianologhlen@...> wrote:

[...]

Nick Lethaby

The leucistic Willow Flycatcher is a transient so certainly not the product of the local environment.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200