Topics

Western Tanager at SBMNH today

Rebecca Coulter

I was surprised to see a Western Tanager calling from the top of a sycamore along Mission Creek on the Museum's main campus this morning. Without binoculars, I couldn't make out the plumage, just a silhouette against the gray sky. I have been outdoors on the site almost daily for the past 6 weeks and this is the first one I've heard. Perhaps an early fall migrant--earliest date from Lehman is 4 July, with a few other records mid-month.

Rebecca Coulter
SB

Pam Viale

I had a young male In my backyard yesterday (adjacent to Ellwood bluff).
Pam Viale

Phila Rogers

Could this be a migrating male who is losing its mating plumage?. Does seem a bit early but I heard a calling tanager at Oak Park this morning.
The big flocks of elegant terns remind me of similar flocks in Berkeley along the shoreline near the approach to the Bay Bridge.   Phila Rogers