Topics

Western Tanagers

Don Blackwill

We found a bird yesterday morning that we decided was/reported as a female Western Tanager.   Right size, greenish/yellowish, yellow conical bill, wing bars.  In hindsight I think it could have been a male in winter plumage.   A second bird the same size, same bill shape but appearing all gray, joined the 1st bird very briefly.  We didn't get a real good look at the second but I wonder now if it could have been a very gray female.  This was at the east end of SBCC, the wooded area close to the Pershing Park tennis courts.
Also got good looks at a Downy Woodpecker, which was kinda fun.