Topics

White winged dove at ucsb north campus open space

Teale Fristoe

Hello,

I just found a white winged dove. It flew into a pine around 34.420864,-119.877129. it's been in the same place for several minutes but is difficult to see. I first saw it as it flew over the channel where its wing patches were obvious. I have diagnostic photos I'll post later.

I came out to see the pectoral sandpiper which continues. There's also a Baird's sandpiper associating with the western sandpipers. I haven't seen the tropical kingbird yet.

Happy autumn,
Teale Fristoe
Visiting from Berkeley

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020, 9:41 AM Rob Denholtz <robdenholtz@...> wrote:
I’m posting to ask for comments on a Red-shouldered Hawk I saw today on Gobernador Canyon Rd., in Carp. I had long, close-up looks at this particularly beautiful bird as it fed on the ground and flew to a near-by tree.  Its entire breast and belly was unstreaked mahogany.  Its upper back, also, was mahogany streaked with black.  Its lower back was the usual speckled appearance.  The tail had the expected thin white terminal band and a broad black sub-terminal.  It was the pure mahogany front that seemed unusual.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob Denholtz
Carp