Yesterday's Pelagic

Hugh Ranson

Yesterday, 7/31/21, a group of birders headed well offshore on a pelagic trip with Island Packers out of Ventura. Whilst bird numbers were generally pretty low, quality made up for lack of quantity. We spent our time in Ventura and Santa Barbara County waters. A highlight was getting very nice looks at several Cook's Petrels. One was in Santa Barbara waters, the rest in Ventura. Another rare sighting was a Guadalupe Murrelet not far off Santa Barbara Island. In the Brown Booby colony on Sutil Rock were two Blue-footed Boobies. Other birds seen included South Polar Skua; Black-footed Albatross (2); Ashy, Black, and Leach's Storm-Petrels; and Craveri's Murrelets. Shearwater numbers were low, with just a handful of Pink-footed, Sooty, and Black-vented. To the best of my knowledge, no jaegers were seen.

Many thanks to Captain Joel Barrett--how great to have a skipper who is also a birder--and ringleader Dave Pereksta.

A few photos here:

Hugh Ranson
Santa Barbara

David Pereksta

Thanks for the trip report Hugh. After reviewing photos from yesterday, it appears that the Blue-footed Boobies had a chick in a nest. As far as I know, this constitutes a first breeding record for the US.

We will be back out there in October…

Cheers

David Pereksta
Ventura